The Most Reverend Gabriele Caccia
Permanent Observer of the Holy See to the United Nations
- Born in Milan, Italy in 1958.
- Ordained priest for the Archdiocese of Milan on 11 June 1983 and served for three years in the parish of St Giovanni Bosco in Milan.
- Earned a Doctorate in Sacred Theology (STD) from the Pontifical Ecclesiastical Academy in Rome and a Licentiate in Canon Law (JCL) from the Pontifical Gregorian University.
- Joined the diplomatic service of the Holy See in 1991.
- Served at the Apostolic Nunciature in Tanzania for two years until 1993
- He then served in the First Section (for General Affairs) at Secretariat of State in the Vatican
- Appointed Assessor for General Affairs of the Secretariat of State in 2002
- Consecrated bishop on September 12, 2009 by Pope Benedict XVI
- Appointed as Apostolic Nuncio to Lebanon and Titular Archbishop fo Sepino in 2009
- On September 12, 2017, Pope Francis appointed him Apostolic Nuncio to the Philippines.
- Appointed Permanent Observer of the Holy See to the United Nations in New York on 16 November 2019
Archbishop Caccia’s episcopal motto is Credidimus Caritati, taken from St. John’s First Letter, “We have believed in the love God has for us” (1 John 4:16).